Friday, November 4, 2011

A Very Pretty Gift

A couple of weeks ago my Mom-in-Love gave me a piece of furniture that she really could not find a spot for.  She finds wonderful pieces of furniture at consignment and antique shops and had too many pieces in her home.  So she asked me if I would want this piece.  Oh yeah!
This piece has pretty fall coloring to it.  I am hoping for some input on how I should dress this piece.  Do I leave it as is?  I have my favorite print above it right now.
Another problem I have is that the print is hanging to high over the table.  I had a taller table sitting under it before and I do not have any of this paint nor do I know what color the paint is because it was on the walls when we moved in.  I plan on painting this room in the next few months but I am helping a daughter paint some rooms in her house right now so I am not ready to paint quite yet.  Do I just move the print down and ignore any marks that might be left behind or do I put something tall on the table?  Or does the print not work with the chest?  I have to admit I have never been so stumped on how to use a piece of furniture.
What would you sit on a chest with a painted top like this?   I normally would fill something like this with framed pictures and a candle or some sort of decorative piece.  I would love a little advice if anyone would be willing to give it.  Have a wonderful weekend.

 vif187

Blessing to all from our home in the woods.



5 comments:

Bee Lady said...

Well if it were at our house right now...it'd be stacked full and I'd be setting a timer for 15 minutes to get it cleared off as a hot spot from flylady.net! Ask "The Vintage Farmhouse" what to do. She's good at that. So is Rebecca Ersfield. Both listed in my sidebar.

I do have a trick for you for the paint though. I've done this. Move the picture, fill the hole with toothpaste (not gel) and let it dry. Go to a local craft store and buy some of that acrylic paint that you tole paint with...if you aren't sure of the color, buy a bit darker and buy some cream or white to mix it with. I have filled many a nail hole like this. The other thing you can do is take a piece of the paint to Shewin Williams and they will match it perfectly. They have a machine that does this. And they have small containers you can buy and they are having a 40% off sale this weekend.

Cindy Bee

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

I was going to give you the same advice as Cindy about the paint - we moved a huge cabinet this year that had some holes behind it. There is a filler called "Dap" that comes in a tube like toothpaste with a spreader on the end that you can get to fill n the holes, then get a small bottle of acrylic and mix and match the best you can and "feather" it around the spotches. It'll work great!!

mrs. c said...

I would put some tall candle sticks and so clear or lightly colored glass so you can see the design on the dresser. I am going to say something you would not consider, I would paint it! I know, it's an antique but I love to paint wooden furniture bright colors, like turquoise, red, or even white. Have a great weekend.

mrs. c said...

Got your note, It's been super busy and I am so sorry I have not responded......and taking a closer look at the top of that dresser, I would not paint it, it's too pretty! Have a great Sunday! Will e-mail you soon.

KimMalk said...

Hi my dear MI friend! If you're going to paint before long, I'd put something tall on the table to "bridge the gap". It certainly is a pretty table, lucky you!