Friday, June 20, 2014

Growing Up

It has been quite a while since I shared anything on this years new chick addition.  They certainly are growing and today I think I heard more of a clucking sound out of a couple than the normal peeps.  Of coarse before moving the chicks out to the hen house there needed to be some cleaning and I had read that the littles needed to be kept separated at first from the older hens.  They certainly were outgrowing their blue container.

This is how things went for a couple of weeks until some of the littles decided they did not want to be kept in their own area and started escaping when I feed them.

There was a little overseeing going on when they first ventured out to the run.

But I think that they have decided that since there are 15 of them, the littles, over 6 of the old hens they could certainly stand up for themselves.

And then one night a couple of weeks ago I peeked in after dark and found all the littles on the roost with these ladies.

And over to the other side on the food can was this lady that always goes broody every spring.  She is finally able to be the mommy that she always has wanted to be.  I could not snap the picture fast enough but both of these littles were under each of her wings before I disturbed them.

Now if I can just get brave enough to let them all out together to free range.  I am not sure if they will stick with the older hens and go into the run and hen house when I call them in for the day or not.

Blessings from our home in the woods!


Linking with:

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Recycling for Garden Decor

I enjoy browsing Pinterest and Facebook to find ideas for recycling objects for our garden areas.  I was given an unused headboard by my sister in law for a project that I liked on Facebook.  I used spray paint with primer in it by Valspar that worked really well to paint this headboard.

After painting, I added a piece of chicken wire on the back center section of the headboard.

Dug some deep holes to bury the legs of the headboard and planted a Clematis to vine up through the chicken wire.  I also plan on planting some other plants or flowers around legs of the headboard

This spring I found this old bird feeder had fallen from the pole it had been sitting on for a number of years. 

I had been gathering up some miniature Fairy garden furnishings to start building a Fairy garden and decided this would be a perfect addition by turning it into a greenhouse.
Added acorn tops, which we have an abundance of in our woods, for the roofing.  Painted the feeder in some bright colors and had hubs cut a new piece of acrylic for the front and added some small potted plants inside. 
Of course any fairy garden that is located in our yard must have a few chickens.

The Fairy garden is a work in progress and I will share as I add to it.  I cannot wait for my grand daughters to visit because they gave me a small potted Fairy garden last year as a gift and I know they are going to love the expanded version.

I have not added much to the room divider that I shared on my last post.

I did paint the leaves with some exterior acrylic paint and I think it really made a difference.

Below is a glance of the shady pathway that I have been planting and the Fairy garden is in the group of trees beyond that path.

There is a  lot more to share with you and I will share as the gardens take shape.  Thank you for reading and blessings from our home in the woods.


Linking with: