Thursday, November 11, 2010

H is for Hen

I let the hens out of the run today so they could do some scratching and pecking at the grassy, leafy ground.  Because of the large hawks we have I feel like I need to be out with them so they do not get carried off.  Love my hens!  When they are out of the run they move around pretty quickly and I mostly get pictures of their derrieres, which I think are fluffy and cute but I do not know if you all really want to look at my hen's behinds.
I finally was able to get some better pics after they slowed down in their hunt for bugs.
Some of these girls are getting some drumsticks on them.  Better stay away from hubs because he is always saying we are getting way to many eggs and we might need to roast one of these girls up.
But he is only teasing.  Hubs knows how I love these silly fat hens.  They make me smile just watching their shenanigans.
Here is my favorite.  She knows it too because she always hangs at my feet and gives me little pecks until I pick her up.
Since it is Thursday I am linking up with Jenny at:
Jenny MatlockCannot believe it is almost the weekend again.  I have some fun planned with women folk.  So looking forward to it.  Have a great evening!  Blessings!

16 comments:

sarah said...

really just beautiful! we grew up with chickens...! seriously love them... my brother in law actually calls my sister "chicken" as a term of endearment! nice thursday post! blessings...s..

Gabe said...

would love some of those yummy eggs. . .we go through a lot of eggs around here!

have a great day

Pondside said...

I can never resist a post with the work 'hen' in the title. Our gals seem to have stopped laying - first time it's ever happened to this extent, even given the time of year.

Teresa said...

I love the hens--fronts and fluffy backs! It amazes me how beautiful and friendly they can be. Love your H post!

Jamie said...

I have a confession...I have a phobia of chickens. Wonder if that has an official name? My hubby wanted to get some, and I just couldn't do it. They scare me. Silly, I know-but SO true! I like your pictures though. They don't scare me.

Jo said...

oh they are cute looking ... i don't think i could ever eat one after knowing it as a pet ... crossing my fingers that they only lay "just enough" to keep them all safe and feathered!

Bee Lady said...

You do have some beautiful hens. OK, might be a silly question, but what do you do for them in the winter months? A friend of mine raises chickens but she always butchers them about this time of year. Just wondering...

Cindy

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

cute,
love hens.

magsmcc said...

I'm going to send a link to here to friends who have just two weeks ago started their hen family- and have had 14 eggs already. they tell me this is good!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Fresh eggs are so wonderful..I'm jealous...

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

What a lovely flock of hens. I bet your eggs are amazing.

Kranky Granny said...

Hubby grew up on a chicken farm and I on a truck farm but we had plenty of chickens that were intended for eggs and Sunday dinners. To this day neither of us will eat chicken so your hens are safe with us.

But, I am amazed at how many of our town folks are starting to raise city hens. I see them every where these days. Seems that every few months there is some new ordinance passed about having farm animals (especially chickens) in town.

Lovely post for the theme. Thanks for visiting my 4-H's post this week. Your comment is like adding icing to a cake.

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Beautiful HENS!
Happy Belated H Day!!!
HUGS,
Coralie

Judie said...

I must tell you that I ADORE chicken pictures!! Your hens are beautiful, and so are your photos.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

love your hens...and you are right they do have fluffy derrières haha

How fun it would be to find their eggs...I am sure your grandkids love to do that when they visit your place.

Blessings & Aloha!
(I thought I was already a follower, but I am your newest follower now :o) I have limited time blog reading, but do make it a point to return visits from those who leave comments. Thank you again for your past comments :o)

Jenny said...

Awwww...here chick, chick, chick!

These are great pictures. I'm still kinda/sorta afraid of chickens...even after my chicken sitting stint this summer...I think it's their feet.

So I will just admire the fluffy pictures of your beauties and not look at those dinosaure like claws...ummm.... I mean...

Thanks for linking to Alphabe-Thursday.

This was a neat link.

A+