Friday, January 18, 2013

Jumping on Board

I am jumping on board the home made cleaners wagon.  Everyone is a step ahead of me and I have some catching up to do but I have one to share in case you have not tried it yet.  Simple easy orange cleaner.  It is made with just orange peels and vinegar and you let it set for a couple of weeks.
You can get the complete instructions at The Fountain Avenue Kitchen and the post has a ton of comments that give you a lot of other similar ideas.  There were so many comments on this particular post that I finally quit reading just to get started on my own cleaning.

I put most of the cleaner in a spray bottle and kept a little aside to put in some mop water.  My daughter uses it that way and says that it works so much better than the orange scented cleaners you buy at the store.
I have not mopped my floors with it yet but I did spray some on the island counter top and let it set for a few minutes before washing off.  It cleaned the grout really well.  I usually spray with the bleach kitchen cleaner when the grout starts to look discolored and this works almost as well.  It was not bleached out as much but when it dried it looked very clean.  On my way to green cleaning.  Whats next?

Looking forward to the weekend.  Spending some time sewing with friends.  I wish you all a wonderful weekend and many blessings from our home in the woods!


8 comments:

Holly said...

I like this!!! I have some tangerines that are looking a little wrinkly...do you think they would work or do they need to be really fresh???
Thanks for the visit earlier!

mrs. c said...

I too have seen this cleaner on several pinterest posts and have yet to make some. You have inspired me to eat and orange and save the peels. I hope that you have had a good week, can't wait to see what you create next.

Bee Lady said...

Hey thanks for this information. I saw the same info on another blog, I think wellness mama, or maybe she referred to this blog. Either way, I used to only use vinegar, and baking soda for cleaning. And I always made my own laundry detergent. Since the house I've been lax, but anxious to get back to the natural stuff.

Cindy Bee

Ray and Jeanne said...

Hi Neighbor! Marlene sent me over. I have been trying different things to eliminate more chemicals from our lives. Good Luck with this cleaner! ~Jeanne

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love this idea! I eat one orange every single day so it wouldn't take long to get some of this made. I make my own laundry detergent, fabric softener and hand cream so I'll be adding this to the list. blessings, marlene

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

This is a must try. We love going green.
the blacksmith (my hubby) makes all our own soap, including shaving soap which is excellent.
nice to meet you today through Marlene. Isn't she a doll.
I'll catch you later.
P

Shannon said...

I really like this cleaner for the bathroom and floors!Happy it works for you.If you ever get short on peels let me know we eat plenty of oranges :)

Jayme Goffin, The Coop Keeper said...

I'm giving this a try! Sounds awesome!