Saturday, February 5, 2011

My Weekend So Far

Hi friends!  Want to start by reporting on the weight loss.  Last week I did not even mention it because I only lost 1/2 pound and I was a bit discouraged.  But yesterday I did my normal Friday morning weigh in and I lost another 2 pounds.  Feeling a little better about that.  So far around 8 pounds since the first of the year.  Now having that out of the way last night I started sewing the four square blocks for the pillow tops I started cutting out on my snow day.
I have actually almost finished the block sewing this evening but I do not have the fabric for the rest of the piecing so I will have to wait until later this week to work on the finish.  Today daughter number two and I took the her quilt top to our local quilt shop to pick out the quilting pattern.  If you have not seen this quilt top you can see it here.  We got the quilting part all squared away but decided that the backing available was not quite what she wanted, so we went on a little road trip to a couple other shops and ended up with this fabric for the backing.
It actually has so many of the colors that are in the front of the quilt I think it will look really great.  It is also 106 inches wide which is what we needed unless I was going to piece.  So now I will get the backing fabric  washed, pressed and dropped off at the quilt shop this next week.  We are on the waiting list and it is out about 3 months.  But I could not hand quilt it in that time so we are ok with that.
Daughter number two and I both like re-sale and antique shops so we stopped at a couple before heading back home.  I found two vintage hot pads that I liked.  I have been thinking I would like a few of these to hang above my kitchen cupboards.  These are the first two I have bought so I will wait until I find a few more before starting to hang them.
My daughter is better at looking at everything in these stores and found this Scottie door stop for me.  And even better it was marked down from $25.00 to $18.00.  So I grabbed it up.
Its about 17 inches tall and I liked it in front of the newly installed wainscoting, but hubs did not.  I think he thought it would get knocked up against the new paint.  So I moved it in front of a door we do not use, it is a door stop after all.  This door is due for fresh paint and the trim around it is suppose to get replaced so I wonder where hubs will expect it to move to after that?
 Today has been a fun day and I got to spend it with my middle daughter which made it even better.  This daughter is the mother of our four grandsons so she does not get to have days like this often and I treasured it.  I hope you are all enjoying your weekend also.  Good night and blessings!

6 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love the doggie door stop! That was a great find!

mrs. c said...

So sorry that it will take so long to get the quilt done! Sounds like you had a great time with your daughters today. We are going to have a super bowl party tomorrow night with our daughter and her family. Have a great Sunday.

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

Mommy/daughter days are jut the best!! I don't know how I missed seeing that quilt on your earlier post - it is beautiful!! You are lucky that you have a place close to you to get it quilted - I have never done that, always hand quilted.

Love the Scottie - I have one just like it. Your hubs was probably right to think it might fall against the wall and scar it - ours falls occasionally, but we have 4 rambunctious running around that usually cause it!!

Have a great weekend - it's off to a good start.

Lynn

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

I had to come back for this - got too enthused about the Scottie and the quilt

CONGRATS ON THE WEIGHT LOSS - you are doing great!!

Lynn

Sparky said...

Way to go girl 8 lbs...since the new year..I would take that...and your door stop...love that...sew glad I came by ....

Bee Lady said...

Hi Brenda,

Love the potholders. I've been collecting stuff like that for a couple of years at garage sales and such. I want to use them in my new house, in my new kitchen, somewhere. They are artwork. The scotty dog is cute too, but most of all, the memories with your daughters are best. And great job on the weight loss. As I said 1/2 pound lost is better than 1/2 pound gained! You are doing a wonderful job of sticking with it.

Cindy Bee