Thursday, October 7, 2010

Cottage Style

My style preference for my home is a combination cottage/farmhouse style. This was easy in the home we lived in for almost 30 years because it was an older home and smaller. We now live in a much more modern ranch style house that is going through some transformation on the interior. I am most comfortable with vintage and older furnishing around me. Hubs likes a more modern look but is content to let me do my thing. I have finished up this little room I sit in a couple hours a day blogging with all of you wonderful bloggers. You may or may not remember a few months ago I showed you a pile of mismatched furnishings here and I am going to show you what they look like now as I show you the before and after pictures of the finished room. This is the paint color and the boarder that was in the room when we bought the home.
When we moved in three years ago we just set up all the extra beds that we used when the grand children visit.
I have replaced these beds with these that I have painted to match.
As you can see, after asking all of you which side of the vintage quilts I should have facing up, I decided to keep the lavender up and turn the green side down as quite a few of you suggested. I am making new quilts to put on the beds in the future and will probably just fold the vintage ones and lay across the ends at that time.
I also painted the odd stands that I had to match the beds. The left one I decoupaged some blue fabric to match the blue in the curtains in the bottom shelf area.
How my computer desk looked before.
This is where it sits and how it looks now.I got the idea on how to cover this lampshade from a tutorial at Mary's Meanderings. I had to do a little adjusting because the lamp shade frame I had bought a few years ago and was hanging around in my stash of junk was a little different. I used a jar that I partially filled with buttons and added one of those light kits to.
I believe I succeeded making this room over to the cottage style that I like. What do you like or dislike about it? I have a couple of chairs to paint and make some cushions for but I will have to get back to that later. I also need to find some or craft some art work for the walls and I will show you what I come up with as it gets done. I know this has been a rather long post with a lot of pictures and you have been very patient with me if you are still reading.
Linking up with Jenny Matlock's Jenny Matlock
Thanks for stopping by and as always many blessings!

And I am spreading my wings and linking up here also
  http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/





Furniture Feature Fridays

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love that shade of green. What a lovely renovation. It reminds me of an English cottage garden with the color and fabric combination. Thanks for sharing this 'C' word!

Judie said...

What a sweet and lovely room!! May I come for a visit??

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

What a sweet room - I love green walls - they are so comforting.

Tracy said...

Wow how lovely. You have done an amazing job. I would love to be able to do this .

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

The room looks great and the computer area is so organized. What a good feeling when a job is completed.

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

It turned out so sweet! It's very whimsical!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

What a great space...love love love that lamp!

Holly said...

I think everything looks great!!! I couldn't pick between the purple and green so I didn't leave a comment, but I love how it all turned out!!!
That comment you left was so sweet...I love your granddaughter!!!! I rarely listen to my music so I forget about it, but her compliment made my day!!!!

Anonymous said...

You did a wonderful job and your cute shade and your cozy room!! I bet your are spending even more time in that sweet room of your now!!

bee blessed
mary

sarah said...

hi brenda! thanks for stopping by! what a beautiful post! i love all the purples and greens, very pretty!.... blessings....s....

Splendid Little Stars said...

You have created a lovely transformation! It will be fun to see what additions you make.
PS: Oliver and Earnest live with me and my hubby; Tigra and Bunkie live with my daughter. I added a PPS on my blog post to answer your very good question. Thanks for visiting me!

Jenny said...

What a charming room. I have been thinking of re-doing our guest room into lavender and green...right now it's chocolate brown and robins egg blue.

I really like what you did to the doors on the computer desk. Very clever.

But perhaps my favorite thing is your sweet little lampshade.

Your home looks welcoming and inviting.

Thank you for inviting us over on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday.

A+

Pondside said...

What a perfect nest for your writing and reading and then for guests when you have them. I love it!

Lourie said...

That is sooo sweet! And I love the computer area. Very nice.

Bee Lady said...

Brenda,

I love the way your room turned out. Those pillows are so cute too. Did you make them? They match perfectly. Good job!

Cindy

About Me... said...

Love it!!!!! Hi Brebda. Boy, you outdid yourself girl! The raggedy lamp is absotively ADORABLE!!! What fun you had. shery

Vintagesouthernlife said...

It all looks great. I love the shade of green on the walls and your little cottagy lamp.

Annesphamily said...

I like this cool changes. Very chic! Anne

Hubs Mom-yours too said...

Your sis in-ooops no, no, no. Your Mother-in-"love. Could I be your biggest fan? Yes!!? The new bedroom is beyond what it looks like in the pictures. The bedspreads and curtains especially. The green of the walls--so eye appealing. Wonderful color. Sweet and comfy. Your style. Love all you do.

NatureGirl said...

How adorable...love the colors and the lamp!

Deborah Ann said...

Your room is fabulous! And I'm going nuts over that lampshade! You really have good taste in decorating!

Amanda Lee said...

Wow! This bedroom turned out sooooo cah-ute!Great job!

Unknown said...

I love it, I think you did a wonderful job.....It is very peaceful and perfect for the kids sleepovers too.......

Betty said...

Thanks for visiting me!! I am enjoying looking through your blog. Your guest room is very pretty. I love the colors you chose.