Friday, October 1, 2010

Apple Butter the Recipe

A few of you have asked for the Apple Butter recipe that I was talking about on my last post so I am going to give it to you here today. As I said in my previous post I have bought a couple of jars of Apple Butter from local orchards and Amish markets over the last few years. I have opened them, tried them once or twice and they sat in the fridge until I tossed them. Now I have to admit that I do not remember if the Apple Butter I ate as a child was home made or if it was just Smuckers but I do know that I liked it. And I think this compares to it really well. I found the recipe listed on a local orchard web sit while looking for the hours that they are opened. So I must give them credit. The orchard is about 1/2 hour from my home and called Anderson & Girls Orchard. This recipe takes the whole day but it is a real easy because you just put everything in the crock pot first thing in the morning.Crock Pot Apple Butter
5-1/2 pounds apples, peeled and finely chopped
4 cups sugar
2-3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
Place apples in slow cooker. Add rest of ingredients and mix will. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 9-11 hours or until thick and dark brown, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook 1 more hour. if smoother apple butter is desired, may puree in blender or food mill. Process 10 minutes in hot water bath in pint jars or may freeze.

I did cook for 12 hours total and I did not puree any further.

This was dinner the other night when I had finished canning. It is wonderful and as Lynn at Rocky Creek Scottie commented "it has such a delightful aroma".

Now I have a question that I hope someone can answer. I am having trouble adding my photos. I had to go back to the old editor to upload my pictures. I tried the new editor again today and still had the same problem. It brings up a window that looks totally different and when I try and upload my pictures it just spins its wheels. I could sure use someones help if you have an answer for me.

I hope you all enjoy the recipe and thank you for coming back for it. Blessings!

6 comments:

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Thank you for sharing the apple butter recipe. It seems simple enough to make without a lot of babysitting a pot. I for once have not had any trouble with the new photo download. The old one made me crazy. I wish I had some advice for you. Good luck on your next post.

Holly said...

Hi Brenda!!!

I've been out of the loop, but wanted to comment on your lovely shelves bursting with bounty!!! I love it!!! Isnt' it a great feeling to have all those "provisions" lined up and waiting for a snowy day????

I love how everything is out in the open on those red shelves...Beautiful!!!

Holly

mrs. c said...

I made pear butter and plan to make some apple butter when we visit an orchard and get some apples. What kind of apples did you use? It sure seems like a simple recipe and that is what I need. I am still loading my photos on the old version so I can't tell you about the new one.

Unknown said...

i love apple butter so much! this looks amazing. i just might have to make some of this.

Splendid Little Stars said...

Yum! I have a friend on facebook who said she made apple butter in her crock pot. Your directions sound about the same, although I think she cooked hers longer. I will post this link if I can find that comment again.

Bonnie said...

Hi Brenda, I have been using this exact same recipe for several years. I got it from the newspaper and I also bottle mine. It stores very well.