Wednesday, March 23, 2016


Winter has returned to our Michigan home.  We have a couple inches of snow on the ground that followed a rain/sleet mix.  I am unsure if we will receive anymore of this weather but I will be glad that I do not work tomorrow and can stay home to sew, crochet or whatever my hearts content.  I have realized that I have finished a couple of the projects for the Finish-A-Long that I signed up to participate in for the first time and I should start getting my posts up and ready for the link up in about a weeks time.  I had listed 4 projects that I planned on getting done in this quarter of the year but I know that one will not make the cut and I will have to add to the next quarter. My link up post is here. So with that all being said my first project that I finished this quarter was a cupboard that we used in our dining area to hold my collection of teapots, cups and saucers.  I had asked my dear husband and grandson move it downstairs to my sewing area shortly before the end of last year.  It is a heavy piece so I was grateful that they were happy to do it for me.
This is the before picture.  I had painted this a few years ago and had never finished painting the bottom doors that cover the drawers.  I do not think anyone that visited even realize they were missing.  I started over from scratch because of coarse these colors did not work in my sewing room.
 These are the pictures I remembered to take after I had been painting for a couple of days and had already started loading the shelves.  The black paint is the same paint I have used on a dresser I use for storage and another storage unit that I blogged about years ago that was made over from an old gun cabinet.  I added some white paint to lighten up some grey that I found in the storage room for the drawers.
 No doors on in this picture yet.  I did not bother to paint over the yellow stripes because I expect no one will ever notice them once I have stacked the shelves with fabric.
 Here is the mess I needed to clean up, I still have some projects left out on this counter top to work on in the near future, so not totally cleared off but not unusable anymore.
 I just used double stick tape and some wrapping paper I found in the dollar bins at Michaels Crafts to line the drawers.  They were shorter rolls and fit great.
 And found that I can starch and press fat quarters to lay flat in these drawers for projects that I am currently working on.  This drawer is full of fabrics I am using for the Splendid Sampler QAL.
 Doors on! New knobs from Hobby Lobby and an old crochet bookmark I made years ago hangs from the antique key still in the door lock.
 I am very happy with the way it turned out and know it will be so much more useful here than where I used it before.
 And since I was priming and painting I got around to these old beat up paint splattered chairs that I had been meaning to paint for the same area also.
 I just need to find some new chair pads that fit, they are a little hard to sit on when I am sewing for a few hours at a time.
I am glad I have signed up to participate with the Finish-A-Long over at Clover and Violet, it has definitely motivated me to finish some projects and I am already thinking of the next quarters list.

Blessings from our home in the woods!


2016 Finish-A-Long


Melody said...

Brilliant furniture makeovers. You are so clever.

Bee Lady said...

Your craft room looks so nice. Even the messy part! Mine is unusable. And I'm tired of trying. I decided once I use up enough stuff and get rid of enough stuff, then maybe I'll try again. The Finish-a-long is a great idea.

Cindy Bee